This is not intended to be mapped to a set of college courses. It is intended to be a listing of necessary skills for a data scientist. For a definition of data scientist, see this previous post.
- Calculus – not directly important to data science, but the knowledge is important to understand the statistics and machine learning
- Matrix Operations
- Regression – Linear and Logistic
- Bayesian Statistics
- R – stats
- Octave – machine learning
- Basic Programming – Java, C/C++, and Python seem to be good language choices
- Machine Learning
- Database Knowledge – not limited to just relational databases
- Data Visualization – how to make data look good: maps, graphs, etc
- Presentation – story telling, be comfortable explaining data to others
Do you have anything to add/remove from the list?